When it comes to deploying the client to domain-joined devices, you’ve got a few choices. Software Updates, Client Push, or custom script. Deploying via software updates is definitely my preference, as any machine joined to the domain will get the SCCM client package pushed via the WSUS server the client device is pointed to via GPO.

Assuming we already have a healthy SCCM environment with a Software Update Point role somewhere, it’s a straightforward process. For proper usage of this client-deployment strategy, you’ll also want to verify that you have extended your AD schema, published your site to your AD forest (from SCCM console), and created at least a single boundary and boundary group configured to be used for site assignment.... Read the rest

I’ve heard some confusion, especially from people who are just starting to implement Configuration Manager in their environment, over the SUP role and how it looks in practice.

Obviously, you’re under no obligation to use the WSUS integration or Software Updates functionality in SCCM. You can continue to use your standalone WSUS, but in the eyes of a user, I’d much rather find my Windows Updates in the same place and being deployed with the same constraints as other applications and packages being released for my machine.... Read the rest

Rebuilding the SCCMChris lab as time permits, I ran into an issue during installation of tech preview v1703 — the installer would hang during the database setup for many, many hours. It didn’t seem to completely stall, but after a day, installation was still chugging along. Thankfully, there’s a simple solution! For your guest machine, disable “Dynamic Memory” in Hyper-V manager, uninstall the site to reverse your failed installation, then kick it off again.

I think my non-DBA background got me on this one today. I renamed my Primary box this morning after doing my SQL 2016 installation last night. Tidied up issues in the Pre-req check for SCCM installation, so I kicked it off and came back to this:
error

Within the ConfigMgrSetup log, I found:

[code]ERROR: SQL server’s Name ‘[WIN-1NOPPABSENJ]’ in sys.servers does not match with the SQL server name ‘[CM-PRIMARY]’ specified during setup. Please rename the SQL server name using sp_dropserver and sp_addserver and rerun setup. ... Read the rest

Note: This post is adapted from my working notes, so I apologize for being a little all over the place. I didn’t find this issue described online, so I thought it was important to get something posted to hopefully save someone else the trouble.

Naturally, my first routine servicing upgrade caused an implosion of hardware inventory across the hierarchy. My first indication of an issue was the SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER being in warning status in console for all MPs. Logs full of this:
1st

I confirmed that virtually all clients had last submitted hardware inventory the night of the v1610 upgrade.... Read the rest

It’s about time, finally ready to roll Windows 10 in a production environment! For me, this process had a simple workflow (but a lot of effort for each step of the process). I’m not going into great detail on the entire process here, but I figured I’d share my project task list as well as the scripts I used in de-bloating the Windows 10 v1607 image!

My end-goal is to deploy Windows 10 via task sequence with as little bloat as possible, non-enterprise apps removed, and do it as securely (GPT, UEFI, Secure Boot) and efficiently as possible.... Read the rest

I started using PSADT a year or two ago for my commonly updated applications. Flash, Java, Reader, etc.

One of the first issues I encountered was having a single deployment type. Per PSADT documentation, your deployment type should be deployed with “Allow users to view and interact with the program installation” ticked. Unfortunately, if you set “Logon Requirement” to “Whether or not a user is logged on”, this field greys out, unticked.

So, with this box unticked, PSADT proceeded in Noninteractive mode.... Read the rest

I had about 11 applications rolling out this weekend. Tonight, I saw about 200 systems hung up in the “Content Downloaded” status. They were well past the deadline date/time but had not yet enforced. I couldn’t find a common denominator, if I connected to any of them in Client Center and ran the App Deployment Cycle, they installed immediately. My maintenance window was closing, so I needed to focus on resolution rather than going CSI: on the issue.

Current Branch allows you to right click a collection and Notify clients to evaluate Application Policies, but there is not yet the same functionality in the Monitoring tab for particular groups with same reported status on a deployment.... Read the rest

If you didn’t read part one, you can find it at this link.

My original issue was with systems during migration defaulting back to incorrect ccmcache location and size values. Rather than continuing to deploy to specific systems to resolve, I went ahead and created a configuration item to ensure all client systems are set to intended values.

If you’re only looking to change the ccmcache size, there is an item for this now in Client Settings policies. Unfortunately, that doesn’t allow for changing location.... Read the rest

I was working on some deployments today and discovered a large chunk of systems that have had ccmcache location set to c:\ccm\cache and size set to 250MB since I migrated to a Current Branch hierarchy.

I did not want to deploy something to all systems in the target collection for this deployment as the ccmexec service would have to cycle, and I’m not sure what would happen if an install were in progress when that happens. My other option would have been to create a collection with only the machines failing with the same “not enough temporary space is reserved” message, and deploy a fix app/package to it.... Read the rest