When it comes to deploying the client to domain-joined devices, you’ve got a few choices. Software Updates, Client Push, or custom script. Deploying via software updates is definitely my preference, as any machine joined to the domain will get the SCCM client package pushed via the WSUS server the client device is pointed to via GPO.

Assuming we already have a healthy SCCM environment with a Software Update Point role somewhere, it’s a straightforward process. For proper usage of this client-deployment strategy, you’ll also want to verify that you have extended your AD schema, published your site to your AD forest (from SCCM console), and created at least a single boundary and boundary group configured to be used for site assignment.... Read the rest

I’ve heard some confusion, especially from people who are just starting to implement Configuration Manager in their environment, over the SUP role and how it looks in practice.

Obviously, you’re under no obligation to use the WSUS integration or Software Updates functionality in SCCM. You can continue to use your standalone WSUS, but in the eyes of a user, I’d much rather find my Windows Updates in the same place and being deployed with the same constraints as other applications and packages being released for my machine.... Read the rest

Rebuilding the SCCMChris lab as time permits, I ran into an issue during installation of tech preview v1703 — the installer would hang during the database setup for many, many hours. It didn’t seem to completely stall, but after a day, installation was still chugging along. Thankfully, there’s a simple solution! For your guest machine, disable “Dynamic Memory” in Hyper-V manager, uninstall the site to reverse your failed installation, then kick it off again.

I think my non-DBA background got me on this one today. I renamed my Primary box this morning after doing my SQL 2016 installation last night. Tidied up issues in the Pre-req check for SCCM installation, so I kicked it off and came back to this:
error

Within the ConfigMgrSetup log, I found:

[code]ERROR: SQL server’s Name ‘[WIN-1NOPPABSENJ]’ in sys.servers does not match with the SQL server name ‘[CM-PRIMARY]’ specified during setup. Please rename the SQL server name using sp_dropserver and sp_addserver and rerun setup. ... Read the rest